History of Clynelish Distillery

 

1819

Clynelish Distillery is built by the Marquess of Stafford (the future Duke of Sutherland) for ?750.

1821

Clynelish Distillery is leased to James Harper

1834

Clynelish Distillery is leased to Andrew Ross.

1846

Clynelish Distillery is leased to George Lawson.

1896

Clynelish Distillery is bought by Ainslie & Co., a blending company

1897

The Pelton water wheel for power is supplemented with a horizontal steam engine.

1912

John Risk, who already owned 50% as a trusteee, bought the remainder with the Distllers Company Ltd and formed The Clynelish Distillery Co. Ltd.

1925

John Risk sells his share.

1930

All shares in the company transferred to Scottish Malt Distillers.

1931

The economic recession forces Clynelish Distillery to close.

1938

Production restarts at Clynelish Distillery

1941

In May, the distillery shut due to barley restrictions with World War II.

1945

In November, production restarts.

1967-1968

A new distillery, the current Clynelish Distillery, was built on an adjacent site, south of the old distillery, which closed.

1969

In April, the old distillery reopened, although renamed Brora Distillery

1983

On the 17th of March, Brora Distillery finally shut.

2008

Two additional washbacks were added, allowing the distillery to work seven days a week

2014

An extensive upgrade to the Distillery was announced in January, which will double the current capacity of Clynelish.

Today

A warm welcome awaits every visitor to Clynelish Distillery.

To find out more, please visit our distillery.

To find out more, please visit our distillery.

By purchasing these tickets now, you agree to our Terms & Conditions.